Friday, August 24, 2012

Saying Goodbye Ain't Easy...



We recently said goodbye to a very special member of our little family.  She was, in fact, the first child for J.R. and myself.  Our oldest dog, Cali, was sent to heaven (yes, dogs do indeed go to heaven in case you ever wondered.  now that that's settled, let me continue...) a week ago today.  It was a very sad  and lonely day in our home.

Cali was almost 14 years old.  J.R. found her as a very tiny pup on the side of the road when he used to deliver medical equipment.  She was tiny and furry like a little teddy bear, covered in ticks and stick tites, and in need of love.  We accepted her with open hearts!  

At the time, J.R. lived with our good friend, David, and he and Cali were so close.  He spooned her every single night in the bed and we took her everywhere.  She was our first responsibility together and we loved her so much!  J.R. was happy to finally have a dog all his own!  They were best friends :)

Time was just too much, as it is for us all at some point. Her joints were giving out, among other things, and I won't go into details, but it was time to stop seeing her suffer.  I can't tell you how hard this decision was.  We debated for a really long time...as in months.  It just got worse and we wanted to stop the pain from being too much for her.  Once they stop smiling it's just not the same.  I wished so many times as a nurse we could help the dying not to suffer.  It's a terrible, terrible thing to know the inevitable is around the corner and yet still have to watch our loved ones in pain and time moving so slowly.  I just kept telling myself that it was a good thing that we are able to do this for our animals.  If you don't agree with me don't tell me...I may lose it on you ;) !  Anyway, point is, we loved our first baby girl and we miss her terribly.  But, as with most things, time heals, prayer works, and love for those of us left behind is most important.  

Maggie (our second baby dog) has never been without her big sis ever.  EVER.  8 years together and she was obviously sad and confused but is doing much better now.  We are giving her SO MUCH extra love and attention and she too is settling into her life without Cali.  If you have ever lost an animal I know you understand this post.  It's hard and it's one of those yucky times in life we all don't look forward to but we manage to go on.  

We love you and miss you so much Cali.  I know you are happy and running with the angels and God is taking care of you.  Goodbye sweet girl.

Cali riding in the car.  One of her favorite things :)  She was so happy!


She would let Sofia do just about anything to her.  Sofia loves all the dogs but always rubbed on Cali the most.

This picture cracks me up!  I couldn't get either one of them to "pose" for me!  You can feel the love though :)




2 comments:

  1. This made me cry :( . I'm so sorry for you guys. We lost our firstborn (kitty) when Beatrice was a year old. It still hurts and my heart feels empty when I remember the joy he brought to our lives. Time does heal though. Big hugs to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aly :) Sorry to make you cry but I know you understand. Thanks for the hugs. xo

      Delete